Advent – the God of the AFTER
“After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.”
Paul was heading to the message of Jesus but he is giving an overview of the history leading to this perfect ‘man’ that God brought to the scene. In this verse he introduces David, a man who was also disappointing in ways but whose heart was gracious and flexible. Saul was given to them as the king of the Israel because the people had proved themselves unfaithful by asking for a king so that they could be like the other nations, instead of trusting in God. However, after 40 years God removed Him because his heart was not right. The point is, God always has a plan. He always knows the next move and what will happen. After the best and worst of times, God is. He is the God of the AFTER.
Have you ever noticed this simple truth within the Advent story?
“But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.” He is after your decisions.
“After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem” He is after your poverty and fear.
“After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was.” He is after the distraction.
“After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt” He is after your enemy.
“John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.” He is after you.
1. Today you may have made some important decisions, but even now, God can meet you to change it all around.
2. Today you may have nothing and you may be very afraid. But God can bring gifts of provision for you.
3. Today you may be distracted but God can attract you again along the right path.
4. Today maybe nothing significant is happening, it is simply a waiting period. Your circumstance will change and then the next thing will unfold. God will do it.
5. Today you need to know this simple but important Advent truth: God is after everything because He is before the world was created. He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end!