Acts 20: 28” Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.”
Paul is addressing the Ephesian leaders:
1. Put in place a programme of protection for yourself: have a regular devotional life, develop a healthy lifestyle, be stimulated mentally and emotionally, don’t burn-out, surrender your heart to God, don’t give the enemy a foothold.
2. Know you have been appointed by the Holy Spirit. It may look like man appointed you, but God did. You are where God wanted you to be, leading the Church.
3. Your role is to oversee God’s people, know what is going on in their lives, know who they are and the challenges they face, know their stories.
4. Your role is to shepherd God’s people, tend to their true needs, feed them the Word of God (preach and teach really well) and give them advice, guiding them along their journey so that they walk in step with the Spirit.
5. They are God’s people not your people, so don’t abuse them spiritually or manipulate them for your own gain.
6. It is God’s church, not your church, they are the body of Christ not just a group of people, so don’t disrespect or hurt them.
7. He bought them with His blood not your blood, they are of high value to Him, they are precious and treasured so handle with care, don’t make them bleed, He has already bled for them.
Being an undershepherd is a high calling in terms of responsibility and sacrifice but also in privilege and blessing.