There no entrance exams to connect to Jesus.
Mark 2: 25-28 “He answered, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.” 27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”
I am so pleased there are no exams, hoops to jump through or interviews to be held in order to connect with Jesus. He is here waiting for you …
The response of Jesus to the Pharisees regarding his disciples eating the grain from the fields on a Sabbath day was literally a whole new level.
It was so much more than Jesus saying if it was good enough for David to eat consecrated bread then my disciples can eat on a consecrated day.
Some people will want to tie you down to rules, their rules, standards, opinions, a code of conduct that you have to submit to in order to please them.
Don’t even bother discussing grain from fields and what is lawful and what is not.
It is difficult for us to from a different culture to fully understand this but let’s try:
- When David was fleeing Saul he went to the high priest Ahimelek and lied his way into being provided with the only bread available, the consecrated Temple bread. Everyone knew the story that David had also failed by taking Goliaths sword for himself that had previously been dedicated to the Lord. He ends up at a place called Nothing (Nob) and in a cave hiding. That is the story in a nutshell.
- Jesus purposely used the name Abiathar and not Ahimelek as the high priest. Abiathar was the son of Ahimelek and became the high priest when David became king and he played an important role in his life. Why did Jesus do this when it was Ahimelek who gave David the bread? Whenever we see Jesus in the gospels taking part of the words he said or change the Old Testament story slightly then we know he is trying to communicate something to people who not only knew the story but they knew the finest detail and would therefore be open to hidden messages that Jesus was trying to communicate. And here it is …
- Just as the transition from Saul to David was seen as a new kingdom the move from Ahimelek to Abiathar was seen alongside this as a new priesthood. They were of course shadows of what was to come. The new Kingdom and the new Priesthood would of course only come with a coming new Covenant that the Messiah would bring.
- “You Pharisees are dealing with details of behaviour trying to trap people because you yourself are trapped in an old kingdom, an old priesthood and you have not recognised the new day is here.” That is what Jesus was saying and if they didn’t get that he goes on even more bluntly to say …
- “You are focusing on the law, the rules and the standards of behaviour. This is the old covenant. But the new covenant is here. I am the Lord of all that including the Sabbath. Relationship with me is greater than relationship with the rules.”
Are you not grateful for the relationship with Jesus and that out of that love flows the way of life? Rather than trying to have a perfect way of life to connect with Jesus. I am!