6 keys to a miracle
Mark 5: 32-43. “32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 33 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” 35 While Jesus was still speaking, some men came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher any more?” 36 Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” 37 He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James. 38 When they came to the home of the synagogue ruler, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. 39 He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” 40 But they laughed at him. After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. 41 He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means, “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”). 42 Immediately the girl stood up and walked around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished. 43 He gave strict orders not to let anyone know about this, and told them to give her something to eat.”
- Put to one side your miracle to experience someone else’s miracle v32-35 Can you imagine what it did for Jairus to watch the bleeding woman be healed?
- Ignore what people say about the reality of your miracle, v36 Why engage with people who doubt the miracle will take place? What will this do to you?
- Choose who follows you to the miracle, v37 You need teachable people with you (the disciples) and those who are desperate for the miracle (Jairus).
- Challenge negativity that surrounds the reality, v38-39 Sympathy and emotional concern maybe comforting at times but it is the last thing you need when you are holding out for the miracle.
- Dismiss spectators, v40 Going in to the place of he supernatural you need participants not onlookers.
- Miracles need careful support in the early stages, v43 Don’t let your miracle die through a lack of common sense.