On Mission, part 10
Luke 10: 23-24 “Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”
The final lesson in this context from Jesus to the 72 followers who have returned from a short-term mission trip:
YOU ARE BLESSED
Today is the funeral of Joan Shaw who went to heaven 2 weeks ago. She was a key figure of the Church I was privileged to Pastor for 17 years. Of the many people she has met in heaven already will be the ‘prophets and kings’ who longed to see the Messiah but who did not show in their generation. Prior to Christ’s appearance on earth many lived their life with faith and hope that the Messiah would come but it was never planned for their generation. They are the ‘cloud of witnesses’ in Hebrews 12 who paved the way for Jesus to come.
Jesus tells his disciples quietly that they are blessed:
- Because they have seen Him. Their eyes had been opened and they agreed with Peter, “You are the Christ, the Son of God.”
- Because they would be seeing and understanding the reason for His coming.
- Because they saw the fulfilment of the Old Testament in Christ.
- Because they realised that Christ was here to build his Church.
Today I conduct another funeral of people I have known who have gone from this earth to heaven.
One thing they all will realise is how blessed they were indeed on earth to have:
- Their relationship with Jesus
- Understanding the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- Their Bible pointing them to Jesus.
- The Church that worshipped and lived for Jesus.
We are right now indeed blessed.