This isn’t a letter intended to cause the Church to spend thousands of years debating their theological interpretations of the numbers 666 and when the rapture will be amongst many other arguments. It is about Jesus Christ.
Can you imagine opening such a letter as this?
“John, to the seven churches in the province of Asia:
Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spiritsbefore his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.” (Revelation 1: 4-6)
Written to the prominent and strategic 7 city churches of what we now know as Western Turkey. This letter would no doubt have been passed around the many other cities and churches and what was said to the 7 city churches would apply to the whole.
It is about Jesus Christ. But can you see the Trinity? God the Father, the seven spirits are not angels or eyes but God the Spirit (perfect seven) and God the Son, Jesus Christ.
If you are struggling with your today and you wonder if you are going to get through it then this is the letter for you. For it comes from:-
- The faithful witness: He represents God the Father to the world and as we have seen already as the witness he knows what it is to suffer. He is the perfect model for martyrdom. No matter how dark or difficult your road you are walking in His steps who has gone before you.
- The firstborn from the dead: He is the guarantee for our resurrection. Death could not hold him and it cannot hold you either. There is nothing to fear.
- The ruler of the kings: Whoever is your Caesar that is oppressing you they are not the ruler of your life, Jesus is.
That is encouraging! But there is more:-
- He loves us: He is the lover of your soul. He adores you. That is seen in His death.
- He has freed you: Our sins no longer separate us from God. We are not alone.
- He has made us to be: We have a destiny now, a future, it is a delegated authority under God – so we are kings! But we are also priests serving through worship, prayer and sacrifice.
Heaven’s perspective gives us earthly focus and determination to carry on.
When the end is near and some may feel that today they cannot cope anymore then this letter is for us. It is not only for the end of the world it is for the end of our today. Lift up your eyes, turn your attention from your today and look through heavens filter and you will face today and your tomorrow because of Jesus Christ.