“No one who lives in him keeps on sinning”. These few words are occupying my mind this morning. They have caused many Christians to consider giving up. How is it ever possible to abide in Christ? John is either meaning it is possible to live a life without sin (though 1:9 would indicate otherwise); or he is speaking of habitual sin using the words ‘keeps on’; or (as I believe) John in writing to oppose those who are trying to lead the church astray from the orthodox position of who Jesus is and his teaching and the outworking of that being seen in our love for others is saying that no one can abide in Christ without love.
“Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.” (1 John 3 v 4-6)
So from these verses here are 5 evidences to know a person is remaining in Christ:
- The choice of love. Everyone who sins breaks the law. It is a choice we make.
- You know the consequences if you do not love. sin is lawlessness. Being unloving places us in opposition to God.
- You know Jesus came to make it possible to love. you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. The cross is where we receive love.
- You know He is love. And in him is no sin. No matter what has happened or what the person has done. Jesus always loves.
- You loving others is crucial to your relationship with Jesus. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.