Currently I am at my denominations annual conference and there is a lot of preaching going on! It is attended by all kinds of Christians who give their life to the Bible whether as a preacher, study group leader, youth/children’s worker etc. Throughout the day God’s Word is being heard as it is throughout the nations in our churches. The Bible is a big deal for us Christians. I guess if you are reading this devotional then it would prove the point that the Bible is important to you.
It was important to Peter. He uses one passage from Isaiah 40 as a reminder to what the prophet said to the people of God who were suffering at that time and akin to what Peter’s generation were experiencing. It still applies to us today, for the Word of God spans through all generations.
“Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.” (1 v 22-25)
- Obeying the preached Word of God will lead to the continued positive change within you (purified/cleansed).
- Obeying the preached Word of God leads to you showing real love to others, how you speak to them and behind their backs, deeply, wanting the very best for them.
- Obeying the preached Word of God will lead to you receiving comfort, knowing He cares for you, that despite your sufferings He hasn’t forgotten about you. His power stretches throughout the generations.
So today, be reminded that the preached (in whatever form that takes) Word of God:
- Changes you.
- Conceives powerful love within you.
- Comforts you in whatever situation you are in.
2 Replies to “The Bible whether preached or read/heard is effective.”
Dear Rev Paul,
Wonderful exposition on the Word of God. It has ignited my passion to study and obey the living word of God.