“He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.”
The message of Jesus Christ is still a message that leads to whole households being saved.
An old childhood hymn had these words:
I’ve a message from the Lord, Hallelujah!
The message unto you I’ll give;
’Tis recorded in His Word, Hallelujah!
It is only that you look and live.
Look and live, O sinner, live, Look to Jesus now and live;
’Tis recorded in His Word, Hallelujah! It is only that you look and live.
A quick scan over the gospels and we see:
1. The message must be clear, simple and in context.
Matthew 3:1-2 While Jesus was living in the Galilean hills, John, called “the Baptizer,” was preaching in the desert country of Judea. His message was simple and austere, like his desert surroundings: “Change your life. God’s kingdom is here.”
2. The message is not only about the past or the future but what God can do now.
Matthew 10:7 as you go proclaim this message, ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’
3. The message must be explained not just spoken.
Matthew 13:19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path.
4. The message should be illustrated with relevance, helping the listener to understand.
Mark 4: 33-34 With many stories like these, he presented his message to them, fitting the stories to their experience and maturity. He was never without a story when he spoke. When he was alone with his disciples, he went over everything, sorting out the tangles, untying the knots.
5. The messenger may well be challenged and that may come from the religious.
Luke 20: 1-2 One day he was teaching the people in the Temple, proclaiming the Message. The high priests, religion scholars, and leaders confronted him and demanded, “Show us your credentials. Who authorized you to speak and act like this?”
6. Their needs to be messengers in every generation.
John 17:20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,”
7. The message needs to be brought, this takes a focused effort, it just doesn’t automatically happen.
Today’s verse, v14 “He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.”