This is where I have come from but it is not where I am staying
Acts 22:3 Then Paul said: “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today.”
If we indeed need reminding Paul is being accused of rejecting Judaism and encouraging the Gentiles not to think of converting the Jewish way of life. Here is Pauls defence and it gives us a glimpse into the man:
- This is my city (Jerusalem). I was brought up here. I know it and the people.
- I studied under the famous teacher of Israel.
- I have been thoroughly trained:
- I know all your laws
- I know about the Sabbath rules
- I know what is expected and needed in the Temple worship.
- I have memorised the Torah.
- I have been zealous as you are and have been willing to kill non-Jews if that was needed.
- I am one of you.
This is where I have come from but it is not where I am staying. I have changed dramatically. I will never forget my upbringing but I am a work in progress.