Who is Zerubbabel?
Luke 3: 27 “the son of Zerubbabel”
The name means ‘offspring of Babylon’. He was the governor of Jerusalem having returned with the people of God from exile.
Joshua was the high priest serving alongside Zerubbabel.
On arriving back to Jerusalem he and Joshua set up the altar and laid the foundation of the Temple.
He faced much opposition and the work was soon stopped. It looked like a huge mountain to move to get the permission to continue and then the people motivated to build again.
God raised up the prophets Haggai and Zechariah to move His people back into action. They brought messages alongside and in support of Zerubbabel.
He completed the work of the new Temple within 4 years and it was dedicated.
The message that all of us remember the most is this:
Zechariah 4: 6-7 This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: “Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,” says the Lord Almighty. ‘What are you, mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of “Grace, grace to it.”
- It doesn’t matter if you are the offspring of a past captivity you can rise to become the leader of people.
- Whatever you do in life first build an altar of worship.
- Doing the work of God means you will face opposition but compared to the Spirit it is nothing.
- God will raise the prophetic voice to help you.
- You will complete what He has called you to do.