The Apostle throughout his letters speaks of Christ’s message as a mystery. The word has a different meaning to what we perhaps understand. It is something that was previously hidden or not fully revealed in the Old Testament.
“I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1 v 25-27)
What is that mystery?
It is about prejudice and racism being ejected and inclusivity and diversity being embraced in the Church Christ is building.
For Paul’s day it was clearly seen in the Jews and the Gentiles.
What does Paul say of the mystery?
- No one knew that all along God intended to dwell with all people not just the Jews.
- The Gentiles would never have the same benefits as the Jew.
- The Gentiles could never win the Jews to God; it was always the other way round.
- God’s presence could only truly be experienced in its fullness by the Jewish High Priest.
- The inheritance from God was a double portion for the Jew; they will always be the better people in the future, even if there is room for the Gentile.
- The Glory of God can be seen in all people as Christ dwells in their lives.
Now who said these things? A leading Jew, the Apostle.
This was not a Gentile with a placard demanding to be heard.
This was a Jew doing all he could to bring about change, to disturb the status quo, risking offence in order to speak the message of Christ, the mystery, that was hidden but isn’t anymore.
Today, social media, Christian websites, books and magazines and in every possible media along with conversations in coffee shops and wherever possible people will be speaking their views on their world from their perspective. Division through ethnicity, culture and religion, deep generational racism, condescending economic differences revealing who is truly blessed will be suggested.
We need more than every the men and women of God to step out of their comfort zones and to speak well of those people who are different to them. To say and to demonstrate through words and decisions how God has a plan for all mankind and that is to dwell in each one of them through the presence of Christ and for Him to be seen in all people.
There will be a price to pay.
Who is God calling you to share this message with?