Happy Easter Eve! Also known as Black Saturday and the Great Sabbath. For some nations it is a bank holiday of rest and relaxation. In Mexico it is Judas Day and today there will be many effigies of Judas being burnt!
Today, especially for the Catholics, the paschal fast is continuing. This is not a sombre, Lenten fast. This is one of excitement of what is to come, like the morning of a Wedding Day. But it is not the fast of that first day after the death of Jesus. He is gone. He died yesterday. He has been taken from them and today they most probably did fast. Here are our verses:
“Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?” Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast. “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse. Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.” (Matthew 9 v 14-17)
- Some are disciples of the old move (the forerunner John) and they don’t recognise what they had been fasting and longing for has come.
- Jesus didn’t come to improve on the old with a few changes. He came to create a whole new garment.
- If the old structures that have now become inflexible and unmoveable are not laid down then they will not hold the new move of God. Structures serve the movement.
Tomorrow we celebrate the new move which has never grown old and is still powerful as it was 2,000 years ago. It signifies that Jesus’ message was about movement and it still is. He is movement and He creates movements as His Spirit testifies throughout generations.
Today are we ready?
There are still old garments hanging on the coat hooks in churches today. There are still old wineskins wanting new wine not realising that unless they change they will spoil the new.
So what is the message of this movement?
- Inclusivity for all are welcome. (Let’s keep partying with all types of people)
- Separation (from the past but not from the world)
- Expectancy of the increase of disciples (the Matthew’s of this world)