How can the enlightened ones get it wrong; the ones who knew their Scriptures better than anyone else; how can religious leaders lead people down the wrong path? But they did.
“As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: ‘What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written: ‘“I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.” Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence,and violent people have been raiding it. For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. Whoever has ears, let them hear. ‘To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the market-places and calling out to others: ‘“We played the pipe for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.”For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, “He has a demon.” The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, “Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.” But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.’” (Matthew 11 v 7-19)
You got it wrong.
- About John:
- Jesus applauds his cousin and raises him up before the people.
- He was not someone following the latest fad, speaking the latest teaching, regurgitating what others are saying.
- He was not some lavish, wealthy, super rabbi!
- He was more than you thought he was when you met him.
- He was the Messenger that the prophets Isaiah and Malachi spoke of.
- He was not part of the new day, this new kingdom and so is not as great as you may think he is. You got it wrong.
- About Jesus:
- I am who the Messenger introduced and prepared the way for.
- I am who was prophesied by the prophets.
- I have brought the new kingdom of God that you have for generations longed for.
- This new kingdom is not what you were expecting. It is an upside down kingdom. So the least of it is greater than the one who heralded it. We touch the lepers and the unclean and make them well. We have parties with those who are barred from the synagogues of worship. We eat and work on the Sabbath. You got it wrong.
- Regarding your own life
- Jesus was saying, “God had a purpose for your life but your rejection of John and ultimately of me has meant you rejected that purpose.”
- You rejected your purpose but you held on to your pride. You resisted John’s baptism for repentance because there was no need in your life to do so.
- Those you counted as sinners, like the tax collectors, are further on than you, because they accepted what you turned down. You got it wrong.
They got it wrong about John the Baptist, they got it wrong about Jesus and then got it wrong regarding their own life.
The religious got it wrong.
Those on the outside who look good, got it wrong.
Those who regularly worship the Creator God and the coming Messiah, got it wrong.
Those who are nearest to the kingdom of God, got it wrong.
AND those who you least expect, got it right. They still do.